Every year on my birthday I travel –download app-somewhere I never been. It is more of a yearly tradition. One thing that I like doing is to experience things that is different and challenging. This time, I made a trip to St. Thomas Island which is considered U.S Virgin Islands. I made a trip to Puerto Rico and booked my ticket from San Juan to St. Thomas for $131 round trip which is about 35 minutes flight.
A normal person will book a hotel room in a resort to enjoy the services and luxury of a nice expensive stay. However, I am different. I used to do that but after traveling many places, I started thinking about budgeting my travels and focusing on spending money on more important things such as activities and transportation. Mainly these are fixed prices. What about to tell you may not fit every person that loves to travel. Some like to have that luxurious service, some like medium and some just want to have a place to sleep and shower nothing more nothing less.
After landing in St. Thomas, shuttle took me to the rental car place, and here are few things you must know:
- It is better to have your insurance upon renting the car. Call the rental place and make sure they accept your current insurance. If not buy cheap one online while renting the car.
- Renting a car is cheaper than taking cabs to go places on the island. It might seem small on the map but you will be surprised. Traffic gets bad, especially when the cruise ships passing by and dock.
- Driving is on the left side. Unlike normal driving in most countries, driving can be little challenging on the island.
- Do not get sand in the car, you will be charged at least $100 for cleaning. It is better to keep it clean.
The challenge was to get to the location where I had rented my sleeping, luxurious and comfortable place to stay on the island for the next 4 days. Driving on the left side was little dangerous if you are not paying attention because your left is right and your right is left. The location was about 1 hour away. ARE YOU READY?
I rented a sailing boat to sleep in for 3 nights and 4 days in a gated marina. Does this sound cool? Wait for it. At first thought, many people think it is cool and easy, but you will be surprised. It takes an adventurous person to take such chance to sleep in a sailing boat alone. To me it was a great experience, and loved every single moment of it. However it is not meant for anyone and here is why:
- Although sailing boat was in a gated marina, that does not mean it is 100% safe.
- The sailing boat will fit maximum 2 people although there are beds for 4.
- Phone connection with internet was very weak and most of the time was not working. If you have ATT service, it might work.
- You have to be quiet because there were many boats around with people sleeping in them, so forget about boat partying.
- You might be sleeping and storm comes, thankfully did not happen while I was staying.
- You will be sleeping like a baby sleeping in a rocker.
- If you are not used to sleeping in a boat, you will wake up sea sick and dizzy.
- It will get really hot if you sleep in the main bed, I had to sleep in the middle space.
- Bathroom is very difficult to use. You must follow instructions or you will face major problems with the owner of the boat.
- Make sure you tell the owner to fill up the water tank for the boat day in advance, and try to save water usage because you might run out in the middle of taking a shower.
- You have to be careful walking on the boat, lots of wires and ropes.
- You would wish for the water to be calm and smooth while sleeping, else the boat will be rocking left and right all night long preventing you from a good night sleep
- Buy snacks and water, collect trash and take care of it, else you will be charged for cleaning fees.
Create your moments
I had an amazing time waking up in the morning on a cup of green tea, and a book to read before I head out for activities. Water is clear and you can see fishes swimming around. Sunrise is beautiful, cool breeze is relaxing. I loved every single moment of it and definitely would do it again.
Life is Beautiful
All the above were things that I didn’t know prior booking. However, it was a great learning experience and wanted to share them with you. In the end, traveling to me is all about challenges along the way that teaches you how to handle situations in real life. Over all I had an amazing time in St. Thomas. The island is beautiful, people are nice, and lots to explore. I hope this information will help you with your next trip.
Youtube Channel >> SUBSCRIBE
Follow Share and comment below.
Join WordPress >> Click Here